Friday

Great Idea? Bad Idea? You Decide.

File this one under "Hmmmm".

I am a big fan of coordination in an event. And no, I don't mean the grace with which you pick up your fourth glass of pinot, nor your crumpin' moves with a partner on the dance floor. I'm talking about the full coordination of your theme, starting with your invitations and working your way down to table numbers, favor tags and more. Continuing your theme throughout a wedding is a primary goal most brides have; I have seen this carried over into everything from the decoration of the entrance hall to the decoration of the cocktail glasses. I LOVE coordination -- it really pulls together an event.

Thats why I'm not so sure where I stand on this, and as such, will leave the decision up to you.

Kleenex has recently come up with a new on-line promotion called My Kleenex Tissue, where you get to design and produce you very own, personalized tissue box(es). At only $4.99 each they're not much more then the ones you can find at your local grocery store, so price is not the issue. You also don't have to be a wunderkind at design and layouts, either, as their program is super-easy to use. And obviously, if one wanted to truly continue their theme throughout their wedding, right down to the smallest details, this would be an incredible way of doing so.

The big question: Is this tacky or not?

I've tried to think about this from both sides, and have yet to make a decision. The coordination-part of me screams "Yes!! Do it!!!", especially if one were using a clean and simple design with perhaps their monogram and some nice background colour only.

The practical side of me says "Are you crazy? People will think you've taken bridezilla to a whole new level if you've coordinated every teeny, tiny little thing, right down to the tissues. Whats next, personalized toilet paper?". The practical side of me also feels that the only people, unfortunately, who this idea will appeal to are the brides & grooms who feel it necessary to have their image on EVERYTHING (don't even get me started). Monograms = fine. Photos of you all over the place = pure tackiness. They're at YOUR wedding .... I'm pretty sure your guests know what you look like.

Truth-be-told, I did personalized water bottle labels for my own wedding, and for the guests that noticed, they were a hit. Again: for the guests that noticed. I slaved over those suckers, and only about 1/3 of my guests even realized that what they were holding in their hand was not a mere water bottle but an Andra Coulter ORIGINAL. I mean, come on people! :)

However, perhaps thats the key to a fully-cooordinated event. If your items are too obvious, then you've done something wrong. Your guest's eye should travel over the span of the reception room and take in the spelendor of it all, not fixate upon that one-garish item sitting on the counter.

Ladies, if you want to go ahead with this one, please keep in mind two words: "clean" and "simple". Though it might be tempting to throw in a bunch of the cool graphics they've got on the Kleenex site (I can't even believe I just wrote that), keep in mind that less is more. Keep repeating that to yourself: "Less is more. Less is more. Less is more.".

And if any of you DO wind up creating one of these, even just for kicks, please let me know! I'm interested to see how they turn out.

*photo courtesy of MyKleenexTissue.com. Unfortunately, this promotion is currently not available to ship to a Canadian address. Yet*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it depends what you use them for. In every guest room? Too much? As favors? What? But maybe in the bathrooms...

I don't know. I think I'm against it.

AshleyHami said...

I won't lie...as soon as they are available to ship to Canada I'm ordering one!